Two separate recalls have been announced for Audi vehicles. One is a problem with the coolant pump and could cause a fire. The other is an airbag problem similar to, but not the same, as the one that is affecting Takata airbags.
Fire at the coolant pump
In some 2.0L models of Audi vehicles, debris can get caught at the coolant pump. This causes the pump to overheat and eventually smolder. This puts the vehicle at risk for an internal fire. A little under 350,000 vehicles are affected by this problem.
The current fix for this issue is a software update that will shut off the pump if overheating is detected. An indicator on the instrument panel will inform the driver of the issue. The following models are affected by this problem:
- 2013-16 Audi A4 sedans produced between Feb. 20, 2012, and Dec. 8, 2015
- 2013-17 Audi A5 cabriolets produced between March 9, 2012, and Dec. 16, 2016
- 2013-17 Audi A5 coupes produced between March 8, 2012, and Nov. 19, 2016
- 2012-15 Audi A6 sedans produced between April 4, 2011, and Dec. 22, 2014
- 2013-17 Audi Q5 SUVs produced between July 4 2013, and Dec. 20, 2016.
- 2013-16 Audi A4 Allroad wagons produced between March 12, 2012, and April 1, 2016
The other problem involves Audi Q5 SUVs produced between May 28, 2010, and Aug. 13, 2016. If a drainage channel on the roof fails, water can get into the side curtain airbag canister, corroding the foam and eventually the inflator. If a crash happens with a corroded inflator, the bag won’t inflate properly and could send shrapnel into the vehicle.
The fix will this will either be a replacement or a wax seal placed around the compartment, depending on if there is corrosion or not.
What to do next
If you own an Audi in these model ranges, get the fixes immediately to protect your investment and your life. Fires in the engine compartment can cause serious injury or death. If you have been injured in a vehicle fire and you believe it was due to a faulty part, speak with a burn injury lawyer immediately. The number at the top of the screen will take you to a referral service that can assist you in this matter.