An explosion at the Airosol Co. plant in Neodesha, Kansas sent three workers to the hospital during Thanksgiving week.

The explosion occurred at 6 a.m. at the plant, which manufactures aerosol and liquid products. Emergency responders took a 57-year old worker to a hospital in Wichita for burns while firefighters battled the blaze. Two other workers drove themselves to a hospital after complaining of respiratory issues.

According to a follow-up report by the Topeka Capital-Journal, emergency responders left the fire to burn out after containing the risk to the large storage tanks. Officials do not yet know the cause of the explosion, but the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) will be investigating the accident, along with the Office of the State Fire Marshal and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

How can workers recover financially after an explosion at work?

Workers injured in an explosion at work may face financial burdens in addition to their physical ailments. They may face medical bills, miss work, and experience various other damages, including emotional damages. Workers may be able to recover benefits in a workers’ compensation claim, and may even qualify to file a third-party claim as well.

Workers’ Compensation Claims

Workers are entitled to workers’ compensation if they are an employee. The workers’ compensation claim should cover the medical expenses related to the injuries as well as some of you’re the worker’s lost wages. Injured workers can file this type of claim regardless of the cause of the explosion.

Third-Party Claims

Workers may file a third-party claim if a defective product or other third party caused the explosion. For example, if an employee was working near a boiler and the boiler overheated due to a flaw in the wiring causing an explosion, the injured worker may be able to file a claim against the manufacturer of the boiler. Workers may be able to file a third-party claim along with a workers’ compensation claim to seek full coverage of their damages.

After an accident at work, those injured should speak with a lawyer about the legal options available to them. Call 844-549-8774 to speak with a lawyer referral specialist who can help you find a lawyer who can answer your questions.