A Pine Island, New Jersey homeowner is lucky to be alive after a gas leak sparked an explosion that engulfed her home in flames. The woman arrived home on the afternoon of November 29 and noticed the smell of gas as she walked inside, according to the Times Herald-Record.

After noticing the gas fumes, she turned to leave but only made it to the foyer before the house exploded. The force of the explosion blew the front door off the frame and sent it flying onto the front lawn. Emergency responders got the call about the explosion around 3:30 p.m. and arrived on scene to a collapsed structure.

The entire home succumbed to the flames, but thankfully, the homeowner escaped, suffering only minor burns and bruises. She was able to walk out before the explosion and thankfully her family – three children, husband, and dog – were not inside the house when the explosion occurred.

The Warwick police and county fire investigators are looking into the cause of the crash. Meanwhile, neighbors supporting the displaced family raised $16,000 in less than a day to help with basic necessities.

Homes Using Natural Gas Can Become Explosion Hazards

Natural gas lines in residential homes can become explosion hazards for many reasons. Improper installation, failed gas leak detectors, and deteriorating equipment are just some causes of home gas explosions. The cause of this explosion is still under investigation.

There are many other preventable home burn hazards, and homeowners should assess the risks in their home. If a defective product or failed utility service causes a burn injury, injured family members may be able to file a legal claim for damages.

Our lawyer referral specialists can connect burn victims with lawyers in their area who specialize in claims for burn injuries. Call 844-549-8774.